Before I started writing this blog – I was worried that I might regret it later as an educated business professional/startup entrepreneur. As a rational responsible individual, I do understand that movies and the stardom in India leads to confusing a lot of immature, uncanny youngsters and impacting them in a wrong way. Especially the fanaticism that exists for stars in our country seems really unexplainable to me. If it reveals anything it is the fact we have not developed or appreciated other importance facets of education, science, defence, agriculture enough to put them as leading faces of our country for our youth to adore.
However, my generation or generation before and after me cannot deny that Bollywood and its leading men/women do impact you in some or the other way. As Mktg professional, am expected to know what are the latest updates around them to know the trends well enough. And amongst them the 3 Khans of Bollywood or Hindi/Indian Film Industry – Salman Khan, Aamir Khan, ShahRukh Khan come out as very influential, powerful, trendsetters, etc. in current scenario. They have been here for 25+ years and today I will try and share my learnings as an individual which can help other youngsters in professional and personal life :
- Stay United in Staying Independent : They appear aloof yet united at many fronts – seems an invisible cartel getting formed at their end. Yet they function independent of each other.
- Understand Your Audience, Your strengths & weaknesses – This was something that the 3 of them did very well to be relevant constantly and kept renovating themselves with time. Aamir’s strength was understood to be around making intelligent movies that classes vouch on, Salman always appealed to masses while SRK played on his charm, ease.
- Be in the News/Public eyes – they know very well how to be in the news and be seen at the right places doing the right things – respecting elders, showcasing patriotism, social causes, etc.
- Develop Your Close circle of Loyalists – All 3 of them like to be in their comfort zone more or less, though they try to venture out of it sometimes but eventually they move into that zone back. Salman doing dhinka chika slapslick comedy, Aamir becoming preachy, SRK doing that Rahul roles. And you know the biggest surprise – Audience makes it the biggest HIT.
- Most Imp – Understand in and out of your business better than anyone and become a participant than a viewer in that : After MBA, I have really started appreciating their business sense alot. They know the costs, budget, ROI, Profitability, projections, forecasting, branding – they are students and professors of MBA in their own rights though I won’t like to hear their lecture.
- Be a Good Human Being & Stay politically correct : I respect them for that. I don’t think I can say that any of them is a bad person or someone I really detest and perhaps this is why they work with everyone.
- Your best work might not be most successful : Salman’s Tere Naam, SRK’s Kabhi Han Kabhi Na, Aamir’s Tare Zameen Par might not be their biggest success but they make them what they are as actors and craftsmen.
- Above all, love to act a bit all the time, you are being watched everytime!
Hope their hysteria motivates millions to be better professionals and human beings.